Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Savage Inequalities" by Jonathan Kozol

This story is hands down my absolute favorite. Being an education major and coming from an urban community it touched everything that I want to change when I become a teacher. I wanted to take each and everyone of those kids and tell them that they can succeed and the help them do it. Like that school is somewhere I would love to work. I like the challenge of finding that one thing a child is good at and making them realize it and perfect it.

So many teachers take the easy road and teach in suburban schools are just ignore the kids that seem to be a bit difficult, I am the exact opposite. I actually help out in a middle school here in Bloomfield and the teacher I am helping out told me that she can tell I like being with the "bad" kids. I don't know why that is but there is nothing better than seeing a kid who puts no effort into school but because you gave them that extra little push the reach the stars!

Kozol just made me feel like I was in the school with him. I felt was though I could sit down with one of those kids and help each and everyone of them out even if it meant that I would be there for years. He told the story of a school that otherwise would never be noticed. He went in there to see what was so bad about the school and he came out realizing that the only bad thing is the surroundings. These kids are so talented and with the right help they would be able to all go to college and reach their dreams. Their teachers believe in them and have been able to show them the light no its time for their community to do the same. I would love to look up this school and see that they have changed and are now the top of the school district. These are not only book smart, they are also street smart, creative, and see the world in a way I would never have seen it.

1 comment:

  1. Gaby, you are going to be a wonderful teacher someday.

    ReplyDelete