Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Hating Goldie" by Phyllis Rose

My assumptions about this reading were totally wrong. From reading the biography about Phyllis Rose I thought this selection would be very serious and deep, talking about a strong women of importance. Then to find out its about a bird. I did think that it would be about her, which was true. I believe it shared an important story about her, I felt like I got to know her a little better. Not just facts like the short biography before the reading but who she was as a person and how she became to be the writer that she is now.

Right when I read the first couple of sentences where she talks about her priveleged life and how that was what she held against the girls of her own generation the popular phrase, "the grass always seems greener on the otherside", quickly popped into my head. Although she never says that she wishes she was less fortunate she does say to her psychatrist that she was coddled as a child and that its her parents fault that she hasn't written what she would like to have written. This made me laugh because she is upset that she hasn't experienced pain, sorrow, or anything awful. If she only knew how many people wish they could say the same.

I sincerely enjoyed reading this selection because it shows how different we all are. She talks about Dickens and how all his novels came from the experence he had and how she wishes she could have the same. What she didn't realize at that age or before writing this selection is that the lack of experience and her being sheltered as a child can make just as good of a story, its just different. This selection shows us that the grass isn't always greener on the otherside its just different. We all have our own experiences and stories that makes up the great novel called our life!

1 comment:

  1. I really enoyed the way you put this story into perspective, especially in the last paragraph. You really synthesized this story into a larger life lesson. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete