Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Beyond the Cult of Fatherhood" by David Osborne

This reading just made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Its so refreshing to see a father taking care of his son. Just from reading about his life experience and how he talked about Nicholas I could tell their relationship was strong and different from any other father son relationship. David had to overcome so many obstacles psychologically to do what he did. His story proves that fathers can also have a nurturing side to them, they just need to have the opportunity to let it grow.

I have so many favorite parts from this reading but I love how he ends its. I agree with him when he says nothing can be better than laying in bed with your son and him leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. How adorable is that? I would love waking up to that every morning. That's because I'm a women of course. I also liked the part where he is second guessing himself about taking Nicholas to the doctors. It is so funny how he wonders if woman are ever in the same position. As if just because we're mothers we know what to do at all times. Even though I'm not a mom I know they don't always have the answers.

The psychological struggles that David goes through are so moving. Its very interesting to see him fight his battle between being a dad and is job. It is so crazy how men classify themselves by the job they have and how hard of a worker they are. Where as women classify themselves by how good of a mother they are and how well they children end up. It was also very interesting to see David get upset when Rose pretty much pushes him away. He feels so involved in Nicholas's life and so when mom comes and pushes him away he doesn't know what to do and really doesn't like the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment