Sunday, October 17, 2010

"I'm Thin Therefore I Am" by Nicci Gerrard

I went into this reading with a sort of negative vibe. I thought it was going to be all about how girls have to be thin and that thin is beauty, blah blah blah. I was surprisingly wrong. This reading talks about the love hate relationship that we women have with food. We don't want to eat it because we want to be thin so that we can fit the social norms. We try not to let our emotions get the best of us so that when our boyfriends break up with us we don't sit there with a carton of Ben and Jerry's while watching a chick flick. Then there's the other side of food, the love side. We see it as part of being a women. We cook so that we can nurture our children, so we can be good hostess of a party and just simply because we love how food tastes in our mouth.

This problem with women having to be skinny according to society is so played out and seriously needs to stop. We need to embrace the gorgeous women we are and realize that we are all different shapes and sizes and that there's nothing wrong with that. God made us a certain way and we need to appreciate that. We can't let the media which is usually controlled by men tell us what is beautiful and what isn't. What's most important is what is in the inside, so that's all that should matter.

I love the love side of food. Food is definitely a big part of so many of my memories. Coming from a big Puerto Rican family, all we do is eat and as women cook. My grandmother was a great cook and so is my great aunt. Its mind blowing watching them cook, they don't even think about what they're doing, its an art form. My mom unfortunately didn't get the cooking gene but boy can she bake. As a child we would bake almost every weekend and its probably why I love to bake now. Cooking is completely generational and a tradition that will never leave the women's side.

Food is all about bringing people together. Its sad to say but usually the only times my entire family is together is usually because of food; Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthdays, Easter all about food. Your history and love is passed down around the dinner table and the great conversation that goes along with it. My friends and I share a connection through food. I can't count the number of times my friends and I would get to my house after school and the first thing we would do is check the snack cabinet. We would then sit at my kitchen counter and talk nonstop while munching on chips, cookies, pretty much anything we could put our hands on. Now that my friends and I are separated because we go to different schools, there will be times when I get text or would be skyping and somehow food is mentioned. Whether its saying that we're eating honey wheat pretzels and thinking about each other or how much we love ice cream. Food is what bring us humans together and should not have a negative or hateful side to it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment